Sunday, November 10, 2013

A Pre-pregnancy Post

We'll start at the beginning just to give everyone the full look in to our lives.  This is fairly medical and not at all necessary for you to read if you don't want to know the back story.  I just felt like having a record and I may mention some things in future posts that have to do with this story.

At my last yearly Gyn visit before we got married my doctor asked me if we were going to try to have kids.  Michael and I had discussed this and we both definitely wanted children.  So we talked about my options.  I have something called Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) which has an added bonus of insulin resistance.  One of the many symptoms of PCOS can be a failure to ovulate, which can be a problem if you want to get pregnant.  We knew we wanted to start early to give ourselves some time to try naturally (as naturally as possible, I do take one medication for the insulin resistance that I have taken for a few years now) before we decided if we wanted to go down the path of science or adoption.  My doctor told me we would start out doing nothing aside from stopping all forms of birth control, monitor how that was going, and then discuss other options if needed. We began trying as soon as we got back from the honeymoon, but had to stop after the New Year when I ended up at the ER yet again with unexplained abdominal pain.  Finally in February after many tests and a gallbladder removal we were able to start again.  Unfortunately after going off of the birth control my cycles kept getting longer and longer until they seemingly stopped. On June 10th I had an ultrasound that showed my ovaries had become overcrowded with dozens and dozens of cysts (in PCOS this means follicles with unreleased or undeveloped eggs) and I was told that most likely none of them were functioning (able to release a healthy egg) and if I hadn't started my cycle by the time I came back from my July 4th vacation I would come back in and we would form a new game plan.  Little did we know that 7 days later everything would change.

No comments:

Post a Comment